Date: January 2, 2013
This Update is produced by government, in partnership with industry, to provide guidance to farmers regarding the Agricultural Waste Control Regulation and the ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT ACT. If a discrepancy arises between this document and the legislation, the legislation takes precedence. Following this advisory does not relieve anyone from their obligations under the LEGISLATION. The Province of British Columbia does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information referenced here from legislation, and in no event is the Province liable or responsible for damages of any kind arising out of its use.
- Field stored solid agricultural wastes (except agricultural vegetation waste) MUST be COVERED from October 1 to April 1, inclusive.
- Manure applications are not recommended at this time, on any crop.
- Significant rain events are likely to continue. Near to above average rain in fall and early winter 2012 has resulted in saturated or near saturated soil conditions over most of the South Coast Region.
- It is prudent to check your storage areas frequently to ensure you have enough manure storage that will include the average expected precipitation plus account for unforeseen circumstances such as excessive precipitation.
- Develop a contingency plan to outline an effective response in case of an emergency. The plan should include identification of nearby abandoned pits, contact information for vacuum trucks, and the 24-hour provincial environmental emergency incident reporting hotline (1-800-663-3456)
The Manure Spreading Advisory Committee (consisting of industry and government representatives) is advising against manure applications due to lower temperatures, excessive rain events, and lack of vegetative cover and/or reduced nutrient uptake of cover crops. The committee will monitor weather and soil conditions and will issue further advisories as conditions change.
For further information, please contact:
BC Ministry of Agriculture
Geoff Hughes-Games, P.Ag 604-556-3102 or Lolita Aumuller, A.Ag 604-556-3098
For questions of a regulatory nature:
BC Ministry of Environment
George Rushworth, P.Ag 604-582-5211 or Trevor Hamelin, AScT 604 582-5275