May UPDATE to Manure Spreading Advisory #2
Update to Manure Spreading Advisory #2 2013: South Coast Region
Date: MAY 1, 2013
- Well planned manure applications are acceptable on most fields that are seeded, will be seeded within two weeks, and/or well-established grasses.
- It is recommended that you plan manure applications to meet the crop nutrient requirements throughout the growing season and ensure storage facilities are as close to empty as possible by next fall.
- It is the producer’s responsibility to apply manure in a manner that will not create runoff to surface water, to off-field locations, and/or leaching below the root zone.
- Do not apply manure prior to significant rain events or on wet or saturated fields.
- Maintain a minimum buffer distance of 5 meters from wet watercourses and ditches or 3 meters from dry watercourses and ditches during summer.
Refer to Manure Spreading Advisory #2 (released April 2, 2013) for more information
Producers are responsible for decisions regarding manure spreading. Legislation gives no specific dates for manure spreading but it does not allow for manure to be spread in a manner that causes pollution. This Update is produced by government, in partnership with industry, to provide guidance to farmers regarding the Agricultural Waste Control Regulation and the ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT ACT. If a discrepancy arises between this document and the legislation, the legislation takes precedence. Following this advisory does not relieve anyone from their obligations under the LEGISLATION. The Province of British Columbia does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information referenced here from legislation, and in no event is the Province liable or responsible for damages of any kind arising out of its use.
For further information, please contact: BC Ministry of Agriculture
Geoff Hughes-Games, P.Ag 604-556-3102
Lolita Aumuller, A.Ag 604-556-3098
For questions of a regulatory nature: BC Ministry of Environment
George Rushworth, P.Ag 604-582-5211
Trevor Hamelin, AScT 604 582-5275